Friday, November 29, 2013

Gelli Plate Prints for Christmas

Hello everyone,  I hope you are all doing well.

I got together recently with a friend to 'play' with our Gelli plates creating mono prints.    It's amazing how quickly you can create a pile of prints with Acrylic paints, stencils, self-made stamps and anything else that will make impressions.  

I created two cards for Christmas using mono prints in the background.  This first print doesn't have too much pattern which made it easier for over stamping.  I used Design by Ryn's beautiful Seaweed Set to create the 'icy branches' and the large Merry Christmas is from Chocolate Baroque's fabulous Bold Christmas Words set. 

I'm joining in at Crafts 4 Eternity's current challenge as the theme is Non Traditional Christmas design.


I started by stamping over the print several times with a seaweed branch using white pigment ink, which I embossed with clear.   Then I embossed the branch a couple of times with pink glitter and then with a blue/purple glitter powder.     Merry Christmas was stamped with dark blue and embossed with clear.

Stamps:  Designs by Ryn - Seaweed Set.  Chocolate Baroque - Bold Christmas Words.
Spellbinder Die:  Labels 4

The background on the card below is much busier, but I decided to use it for a non-traditional Christmas design.  


I stamped over the background with Ryn's spiral branch with Dark Cobalt Archival Ink.  I coloured the leaves with a green Gelly Roll pen.    I added glitter to the stars that were in the background.

Stamps - Design by Ryn - Spiral Branch Set.   Penny Black - Christmas Cheer clear sentiment set
Dies - Heartfelt Creations - Sweet Juliet,  Spellbinder - Fancy Tags



Thanks for visiting and have a fabulous day!
Shirley

27 comments:

Patricia said...

GEORGEOUS!!!!
Greetz Patricia

Unknown said...

Great idea using the seaweed stamp set for branches, turned really effective...Beautiful result...Your second card is so beautiful, lovely colours, flowers and sentiment...xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Both cards are beautiful, love the frosty blue tones and the delicate designs! Valerie

Wendy said...

What a fab idea to use the seaweed stamp as fir tree branches, it looks amazing!! Both lovely, lovely cards. xxx

Gerrina said...

Okay; now I really have to go work on the GP to make some backgrounds! These are beautiful cards!I like non-traditional cards as much as traditional ones, so I´ve to get playing with some paint and ink... Have a fun weekend, hope it will be sunnier there as it is here...Inky greetings, Gerrina

Ina G said...

Simply sensational Shirley. Both cards are beautiful and love most of all the gorgeous colours you used. I love non traditional colours for Christmas and your choice is amazing.

Shirley said...

You put me to shame Shirley. I have had my Gelli plate for yonks and it is still brand new. Just slapping my hands and making a note to get it out and use.

Both cards are beautiful with my fave colours but the first one is a little ahead for me.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x

Amanda said...

Brilliant, loving thoses gelli backgrounds, great colours and stamping.
Love
Amanda x

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Two gorgeous cards Shirley. I love the backgrounds made with the gelli plate and the seaweed stamp looks like it was made to be used as icy branches.

Have a super weekend.

Sue x

chrissie said...

Stunning background with the gelli plate. Always love to see your makes

Chrissie x

Jeannette said...

WOW WOW.Your christmas card its all wonderful,the backround is awesome,Loove it!!!

Have a great weekend,Jeannette

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a nice play with the GP, Shirley, I really like the 2nd print, although both Christmas cards are unique...great :-)

kaybee said...

Fabulous backgrounds - must try out my gelli plate (for the first time), - it is sitting on my shelf staring at me!!

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

Beautiful Gelli backgrounds and cards Love specially the blue card with it's amazing design.
Wish you a wonderful weekend,
I will have it, cause I've birthday tomorrow :-)
Big hugs Anja

Anonymous said...

Astonishing prints you pulled and I like the overstamping (that is the way I like to use my prints).
Those are seriously gorgeous creations.
Wishes
Lynne

Crafting Queen said...

two wonderful backgrounds, great cards. Hope your kitty is better soon, poor baby. Hope that new cat stays away. :)

Ryn Tanaka said...

Hey Shirley, I love both of these cards! Using Seaweed Set as icy branches was a brilliant idea!!! It looks great :) Also love all of the textures in the non traditional card. Beautiful effect with the Gelli Plate.

Annette P.-L. said...

Both cards are beautiful! I love especially the wonderful backgrounds!

Bianca said...

SUPER Christmas cards!!!

greetings Bianca

Donna Ellis said...

Both your backgrounds look beautiful, Shirley! But the first one REALLY captivated me - magical, majestic, mesmerizing - WOW! Love the colors and the seaweed creating the "barren sticks" of winter - but in a beautiful way. Your new HC flowers look great! Very pretty. hugs, de

Miranda said...

You've had a lovely play with the GP teamie and like Ryn said a great idea with the seaweed as icy branches, lovely cards, have a nice weekend, xxMiranda

Lindeke said...

Great gelli prints Shirley! Again, you made gorgeous Christmas cards with lots of beautiful details!! Gr, Linda

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Just gorgeous!

Whimsey said...

Oh wow - these are both GORGEOUS; love the colors!!

Thank you for sharing with us at Crafts 4 Eternity! ~Michele, DT

Alex said...

Beautiful prints, Shirley! Thanks for this inspiration!

Pat said...

That Gelli Plate keeps talking to me and I have been ignoring it up to now, but after seeing your lovely cards I am beginning to listen. Seriously, these are both lovely with the pretty flowers, Ryn's stamps -especially the seaweed - and a super colour palette.

MaryH said...

More beautiful cards. I absolutely loved the seaweed as Icy branches on #1. I'm with Pat...I know where my Gelli is, but it keeps patiently waiting on me. Card #2 was equally striking, with the pretty flowers. Just saw a Tut on SMS where Stacy used this die & demonstrated how to make these lovely flowers. So perfect on this card. TFS