Thursday, August 02, 2012

It's a "Snow" Man's World

Hello everyone !

I'm back with another card for this week's challenge at Impression Obsession.    I'm a lucky lady as I won the $25 Gift Certificate to shop online at IO in the last challenge.   I was so excited I placed an order the same day !  

The challenge theme this week is "It's a Man's World" which means to me - create a 'manly' card.    Am I cheating a little with 'It's a "Snow" Man's World' ?  I have IO's beautiful Sail Ship Collage stamp waiting for me at Crop Circles which will be great for masculine cards.  Since I haven't picked it up yet & I don't have 'manly' IO stamps, I thought I would get started making Christmas cards.  I hope this qualifies:  It's a snow 'man', I could give this to a man & I didn't add a 'girlie' bow :)



Impression Obsession StampsCC030 Cover a Card Pine, G7640 Snowman with Ornament (by Gail Green), A3589 Winter Wishes

Spellbinder Die S4-143

The background was created by using a sheet from Basic Grey's Jovial collection.  I stamped over the pattern with CAC Pine stamp using Memories Bonsai Green Pigment Ink.  I used clear Embossing powder to give it texture.

I embossed the snowman with Black and used TomBow markers to colour.  I cut him out, adhered to the background and then popped up a 2nd hat to add more dimension.  I also added chunky glitter which looks like snow/ice, it's great.   I used Evergreen Bough Distress Ink around the Sentiment.



As I'm typing this I see a hummingbird outside my craft room window !   It's strange to be talking about a Christmas card and Winter Wishes while it's hot & humid and Humming birds are flying around the garden.

Speaking of gardens, I received comments about our garden size and how much work it must be on my last post (July 30th) with garden photos.    We are crazy people and have about 6,000 - 7,000 square feet of gardens on an Acre property.     The photos in my last post show a small area of our gardens.

Yes it's a bit of 'work' out there, but I use a lot of ground covers, mulch, perennials & shrubs. My husband is great at keeping the edges neat and weeding.    So I don't spend the time you would think I need to. Gardening and Landscape design have been a passion for 25 years & I never considered it 'work' until I hit my mid-fifties.    Some days it feels like work and other times it's relaxing & peaceful.  The Spring & Fall are busier, but we also spend time just sitting & enjoying the view :)     Ok enough 'garden talk', I hope I haven't put you to sleep !

Thanks for visiting and have a great day !
Shirley

19 comments:

Shirley said...

Absolutely gorgeous as usual!! The perfect guy for a man's world too! I really like the embossing on the BG CAC too! Thanks for playing, Shirley, and good luck in the drawing too!

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

A gorgeous Snowman Shirley, and I really like the cover a card pine. Congratulations on your win, I'm sure you'll enjoy using the new stamp you ordered.

I'm glad you're having nice weather, it's overcast here and we keep having showers. I can't say that it's cold but it not that warm either. It's school holidays here at the moment, although it does not affect me anymore, I do feel for the parents who have to entertain the kids when they can't get outside.

Sue x

Creations by Shirl said...

Beautiful Christmas card, lovely snowman... yippee on your win too.
Enjoy your gardening, this is where I will be this morning pruning, although my yard is not like yours.... I have alot of palms in my yard...
Enjoy your wonderful day~

Marja's Stamp Addiction en Marja's Creativity said...

Beautiful Christmascard Shirley, but I am very glad that it is August yet (haha) Though the Summer don't want to come here in Holland. We nhave had such cold weather and very much rain. last week we had sun, unbelievable. Lovely greet Marja

Ellen Taylor said...

A perfect man christmas card! Love the pine background and your superb coloring! Don't you just love a 25 dollar certificate to IO!! My favorite place to shop!! Bet you are counting the days til your Sister comes! I am completely pooped here but happy to have a house full!
Hugs!
El

Marijke said...

another amazing card Shirley, as always, and congrats by winning the Gift Certificate, have fun with your new items

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a great background for this lovely snowman Shirley!

greetings, Alie :-)

Tracey said...

WOW!!! What an awesome card Shirley! LOVE all the texture you added for interest :)

Paula Huiras said...

Hi Shirley! Nice card.Love that background too! I have a blog, but haven't been on their for sometime!!!! PHCountryCreations.
PH

maria's knutselplezier said...

Congrats for winning the Challange, and congrats for your first Christmas men's card I rally like it,Your background is super!!!

greetings
maria

Miranda said...

Hi Shirley, great 'cheat' card and indeed it's a man LOL! Love the CAC with the embossing! Good luck again and hope you will get your goodies soon so you can play further......warm greet Mirandax

Ryn Tanaka said...

Hey Shirley, this definitely qualifies as a "man's" card! Nicely done :) Like the stamp that you used in the background too! Hugs!!!

Shannon White said...

Aww, this is So Sweet Shirley! I love snowmen and this one is no exception! love the fab pine bough BG too! Just a Darling Christmas card! 8-)

Hugs
Shannon

Katie said...

Great card! Love your background with the pine CAC, a great background for the snowman. I think it works just fine for a manly card :), and a great holiday card as well. Thanks for sharing.

Katie B.

craftystamper said...

So cute Shirley. And no, you are definitely not cheating as there is a man in snowman.

Sophie said...

Wow! Eine wunderschöne Winterkarte.
Der Schneemann mit diesem herrlichen grünen Hintergrund sieht so schön aus.
Toll gemacht!

Sonnige Grüße, liebe Shirley

Craftyfield said...

I love the colors, classic Christmas but not garish, the background stamped with CAC is beautiful and the snowman is just perfect.

Marn said...

Hi Shirley!
WOW what a very nice card! Definately a man, works very well I would say! Snowmen are men for sure! :) I love how you did the pretty green background, nice technique, looks really good! The snowman himself is so cute, and I love the chunky glitter - wow that works well on him! Very nicely done! :)
Warm greetings, Marlene :)

Ina G said...

FANTASTIC creation Shirley. Love it.