Saturday, August 11, 2012

In the Pink with Celtic Stars


Happy Weekend !

A new Challenge Blog launched this week -  In The Pink.   If you love using the colour pink then this is the challenge site for you :)     Sylvia (aka Pretty Patricia) and Christine (aka Posh Priscilla) created and are co-hosting this blog.  Both are mega talented and have posted gorgeous creations for inspiration.

I can't honestly say that I'm a 'Pink Person',  but I enjoy creating with lots of different colours and Pink makes an appearance from time to time.   Certainly a big change from the green & blue that I gravitate to :)

This is a busy (but fun) time with my sister visiting, but I had this card ready for Designs by Ryn last week using the colour pink.   I was hoping that the first pink challenge would be 'anything goes'.   I guessed  right as their first challenge is "Fifty Shades of .......... Pink" :)    As long as you use lots of pink, anything goes :)

I created a Pink Christmas card using Designs by Ryn Celtic Star Set CM-C7 .


The background was created by blending Snickerdoodle & Taffy Smooch Inks.  I stamped one star from the set with Picked Raspberry Distress Ink over the background using a 'smoosh' technique.

I've been using Smooch inks to create backgrounds for over two years and still using the same small bottles with the exception of one favourite colour (Pool).  They are also great for colouring in small spaces using the applicator tip or just blend them around using your fingers.   These inks leave a beautiful sheen that is hard to see in the photo.    A good friend of mine uses Smooch for colouring all the time with her fingers and ends up with beautiful images & creations.

To create backgrounds with Smooch Inks:
  • Cover white cardstock with Versamark Ink.  I use cardstock that is suitable for Copic Markers as I like the quality & smooth finish.
  • Use a Colorbox blending tool with black moldable tip 
  • Add Smooch Ink with lightest colour first
  • Blend quickly, if you leave some white space the next colour is more vibrant
  • Clean tool with baby wipes after you are finished, it's not necessary to clean between colours
I stamped the stars with Stazon Black Ink,  blended Taffy Smooch Ink over top & then cut them out.    The great quote is by Impression Obsession - C3503.   I blended SnickerDoodle Smooch in the centre and then Picked Rasberry DI around the quote.    I decided to mat everything with black to set off the pink.     A little black ribbon and pink pearls are the finishing touches. 



Designs by Ryn  stamp set used: 
CM-C7 Celtic Star Set

Thanks for your visit and enjoy your weekend !
Shirley  


17 comments:

Creations by Shirl said...

A different color palette - very pinkish!
Adorable Shirley, I also hopped on over and had to check out the challenge, I'm their newest follower too...
Enjoy your crafty weekend!

In The Pink said...

Hi Shirley

Well I would never have known you weren't a pink person normally... you've used it sooo well on this fabulous card.. I really love the background you have created (I must try that!) - and the sentiment is perfect with the pink sponging too.

Thanks for joining in the very first challenge at In The Pink.... We're really excited at how many people wanted to join us pinkies... Hope to see you in the next challenge too!

Hugs
Christine x

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

A gorgeous card Shirley, you do pink very well. I've been keeping an eye on this blog, and like you don't really do pink, well not in a big way, however I am going to see what I can manage for this challenge.

Glad you and your sisiter are having fun.

Sue x

Ryn Tanaka said...

Hey Shirley, I love the Smooch backgrounds that you create! In this card I like that the stars in the background fade in and out. It makes a nice contrast to the stars that you cut out. Nice work! Thank you :)

maria's knutselplezier said...

Perfect Shirley, I love your background with the smooth colours,I love the beautifull christmas stars and I love thz words,wonderfull!!
Greetings
maria

Donna Ellis said...

Such beautiful shading and coloring, Shirley! I especially like the vibrancy in the forefront, and the continued details fading into the background. Eyecatching layers, too! (like the look of your blog with the gardens, and the "king" guarding your garden. We cannot grow most of the luxurious plants you enjoy! (((hugs))) de

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Wow Shirley - this is stunning! Your stamping and inking is fabulous, as always, and I love Ryns stamps. I do actually love pink Christmas cards - it's such an uplifting colour, and a nice change from the traditional red and green.
Thank you so much for joining us at the first INP challenge - I do hope we will see you next time!
(Hope your knee is improving?)
Hugs, Sylvia xxx

G Peplow said...

Pretty in pink, lovely card :0) xxx

Vic said...

what a stunning card!! you are making me want to start my chistmas cards! x (thanks for your comment on my blog recently!!)

Kasey ~ in Oz said...

Hello there. Isn't it fabulous about the launch of In the Pink? I stopped in for a closer look at your card. I'm linked at #1 this week, I'd love it if you stopped by to say hello.

I love the Celtic stars you've used here the background is amazing.

Cheers,
Kasey ~ in Oz

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

Love that colorful collage very much.

Christina - Pieces of Dreams said...

Hello there,
Fabulous pink creation, love it.
Isn't it great to be able to use pink freely and not keep it as a guilty pleasure. lol
Hugs
Chris x

Carole said...

Hi Shirley, wonderful pink creation, just fab!

craftystamper said...

Love the colors very much.

Shannon White said...

Soo Pretty Pretty Shirley!! Super Color Scheme and Love the Celtic Stars! Just Beautiful my friend! 8-)

Hugs
Shannon

Karen said...

Hi Shirley, I'm popping over from ITP! :o) This is a gorgeous project. The background is amazing and the color palette is stunning. Beautiful project! Have a sparkly night! :o)

Hugs and blessings!
~ Karen H

Ina G said...

Love non tradidional coloured Christmas cards and this is gorgeous.So much colour - fabulous.