Thursday, August 30, 2012

Celtic Doves for Christmas

Hello everyone,

I hope your week has been going well.  I recently worked on a couple more cards for Designs by Ryn .   This time using her beautiful Celtic Doves with traditional styles for Christmas.  

I'm also very excited to tell you that Eileen Godwin of  Eileen's Crafty Zone has joined Ryn's Design Team !  I'm honored to be working on the same team with such a talented lady !   If you have a chance, please visit her blog to see her gorgeous designs here.  

I apologize but again I had a difficult time trying to capture the colors on these cards properly.   Some days colors just don't want to show their true shade and this is one of them.


 
For the above card I used Design by Ryn's , Celtic Dove Set CM-C10.      I also used Impression Obsession - Cover a Card Flourishes CC027 and 'Christmas Magic' B3585.

I started with a green patterned designer paper sheet and embossed the Flourish CAC with Gold.   I also embossed the Doves and Sentiment with Gold.  I used Evergreen Bough Distress Ink around the outside of the images. 

For this next card I used bleach around the images to highlight them on black card stock:

The designer paper is by Basic Grey - Capella Collection & the die used is Spellbinder S5-019.

I embossed the doves with black on black card stock and used bleach to highlight the images.   I guess this one is not so traditional with black & cream and could be used for another occasion other than Christmas.  

We have a load of soil sitting in our driveway waiting for us to move it.  We had an awful time this summer with grubs & then skunks digging them up which damaged a good portion of our lawn.  We are working on an Acre property and even with all the gardens, we still have lots of grass.   So you know what we are doing this weekend :)  Lots of wheeling soil and raking it in.     We'll take a break here & there and maybe enjoy a cold beer ! 

That's all for today, thanks for your visit & have a great long weekend (it's a holiday weekend here in Canada),
Shirley

18 comments:

maria's knutselplezier said...

Beautifull cards both , dear Sherley, I love the bleachted card a lot because bleashing is one of my favorites!!!

Greetings
Maria

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Two gorgeous cards Shirley, I have to say that my favorite is the one in the traditional colours. I love the swirl cover a card stamp I shall have to look out for this one it makes a super background embossed with the gold.

Sounds like you're going to be very busy this weekend, makes me glad that ours is only a small garden.

Try not to work to hard, and enjoy those beers.
Sue x

Karin said...

wow, both great card, the colors are beautiful!

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

You did great with these designs Shirley and bleach is so great to use for cards instead of household jobs :-)

greetings, Alie

Miranda said...

Hi Shirley, two lovely cards and the first one is my favorite! Such rich design with that gold EP! Great work, warm greet Mirandax

Sue said...

These are both lovely Shirley :)

Ryn Tanaka said...

Hey Shirley! Love both of these! You made the Celtic Doves look so elegant :)

Darnell said...

Dang, Shirley, if the photos don't capture the true beauty of the colors, I can't even imagine how gorge they are IRL! They are stunning and look like they are professionally manufactured for an upscale designer boutique!

I hope you have cool temps for all that manual labor you've got ahead of you. Sorry to hear about the evil grubs and skunks. I've never heard of skunks digging up lawns before. You'd think just stinking to high heaven would be enough nastiness for one critter!

Put the beer on ice; you'll be earning it!!

Cole Meyer said...

So rich looking! Love it!

Ellen Taylor said...

Hi Shirley! I hear you about taking pictures with true colors! I struggle with the bad lighting in my house. Both cards are spectacular! Those beautiful embossed doves look amazing! Love the elegance of the gold embossed background and red ribbon! Sorry to hear the about your lawn. I know it's labor day weekend but don' work to hard!!!

Ina G said...

Gorgeous cards Shirley. Love your celtic doves. Like Alie's comment about the bleach being better for cards than housework - so true.

Eileen said...

Awww love these... I use bleach a lot ... down the loo and on my cards!
Great work here Shirley. I sometimes have trouble with embossing.. the image isn't always clear... any tips? Blogging a tag in a minute with a link to you here ... Thanks for my link ..super stuff!

Don't work too hard ... TV for me and F1 racing ... broom.....broom!
Eileen xxx

Shannon White said...

Oh My! these are both just Fabulous Shirley! LOVE the firs tone with the gold embossing, makes it looks so Fancy and elegant! and love the monochromatic feel of your second one as well! Also Very elegant but in a whole different way! 8-)

Hugs & Happy weekend!
Shannon

Barbara said...

Such beautiful cards Shirley....heat embossing is one of my favourite techniques and these stamps seem to be made for it. I'm off to peruse Ryn's website :)
BTW....Eileen is one of my very most favourite crafters...ever! (and she didn't even have to pay me to say this) haha xx

G Peplow said...

Gorgeous cards again Shirley, love the bleaching technique too, works really well here:0) Good Luck with your gardening, enjoy those beers!! LOL Gay xx

Creations by Shirl said...

Both lovely cards, just love your style of creativity.
TFS - hope you are enjoying your beautiful weekend!

Marn said...

Hi Shirley!
Wow I love both of these terrific creations! They are both so charmingly unique! Very nice! What pretty doves stamps too, wow! First card: love the green of the background and then with the golds, wow really nice! then the red ribbon and beauitful gold embossed doves are just gorgeous! Second card: very pretty too, indeed elegant is a good word, really neat effect with the black, then the black and cream together, I think it is great, and nicely unique! Well done again!
Warm greetings, Marlene :)

Jenny Gropp said...

Can you tell I'm catching up with blogs tonight! Love that CAC with gold...... Elegant is an understatement! I'm so in love with coloring with my beloved Copics, I often forget the beauty of gold embossing. Beautiful card, Shirley!