Thursday, March 29, 2012

Winged Things with Outlines

Hello Crafters !

I received a newsletter from Outlines last week with the surprising news that they are closing.     I'm sad to hear this as Outlines has been one of my favourite stamp companies, their stamps are fun to work with.  I will treasure my Outlines Stamp collection.  

I started this card for the March 26th Outline challenge which was planned to be 'Going Buggy - Winged things'.    Once I read the news, there wasn't a hurry to complete the card, but today I've finished it.   Because this is not entered into an challenge with Outlines,  I added a non-Outlines sentiment.  


The background was once again created with Tom Bow markers, Water & Salt.  (Tom Bows 673, 676 & 703).     I sprayed Purple Glimmer mist over the background.   Nice effect but hard to see in the photo.     I kept the card large as I didn't want to cut any of the water colour off.   It's such a neat technique,  I'm always intrigued with the interesting results.

I stamped Outlines H61 Flutterfly Lg & embossed with Silver EP.   I stamped twice to 3D the inner section of the butterfly.   I blended Milled Lavender & Dusty Concord Inks to colour and then added Mica colour Interference paints over top.  I cut an extra body from a third Butterfly to add one more layer.   I added some Dusty Concord Distress Ink onto my non-stick mat, added a little water and brushed it to the outside border of the wings.  I also used a little dark Purple Smooch in the spots.   A little Diamond Stickles was  added along the edges and the body.   I popped up the layers as show and onto the background.

The sentiment is by Kaisercraft CS921 (set of 4) which was stamped with Memento Sweet Plum Dye ink.  I blended a little Milled Lavender Ink over and again added some Mica colour paints and distressed the edges.  I rounded the corners with a little punch.    The finishing touches are some rhinestones, ribbon and Starform corner & border stickers. 


Well that's all for today.  Thanks for visiting and have a great weekend.
Shirley

12 comments:

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

This is gorgeous Shirley, a lovely butterfly. A beautiful background, I really like the way you make these. What a shame that a favorite company has to close, but then Chocolate Baroque used to be bigger and was called Graphicus, so who knows, something might come along.

Have a wonderful day.
Sue x

maria's knutselplezier said...

Gorgeous Shirley, I really like your background he is so beautifull, I trayed to make a background with paint (olso with distressink and water )and salt without succes, so please write to me and explain how I have to do it, I have already asked it Miranda but even with her explanation I didn't succide!!! And yours is so beautifull, but olso the whole card is very beautifull, I like the butterfly as well!!

Greetings
Maria

Miranda said...

Hi Shirley, such a lovely butterfly card! Always my favorites to work with. Indeed it's a shame that Outlines is closing, I have also some stamps of them. Those backgrounds are always such a joy to create and the result is beautiful!
Hope you will succeed Maria, de aanhouder wint!(can't translate that properly.....it has to do with persistence)
warm greetings, Miranda

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

What a fabulous card Shirley - the butterfly is stunning. Love the colours too.
I hope you do try out the LIM challenge - it is a bit strange to begin with, trying to leave things out, rather than put more things on!!! Maybe you could join in the fun at For Your Inspiration too - using a picture for inspiration gives lots of scope, and plenty of opportunity to use glorious ink colours! (The link is on my side-bar)!!
Have a happy weekend - hugs, Sylvia xx

Sharon said...

Hi Shirley: Such an interesting technique - one I haven't tried before, but your results are so pretty that I'll have to give it a go sometime, and the colours very vibrant! The butterfly is gorgeous with all its layering, embossing and bling! Beautiful card for someone special.
Sharon

Julia said...

A very beautiful butterfly
Such talent !

Ellen Taylor said...

So sad when your favorite company close! Lovin' this card you made Shirley! I have never tried the salted background, going to when I get home!! Love the purple and that gorgeous dimensional butterfly!! Sweet card!
I have been TRYING to catch up on my work, just about there, but not quite! My daughter has gone to L.A.(skid row) to volunteer in homeless shelters for spring break, I needed a break before she comes home Sunday and I ran away from home and my work away for the weekend. You have to love laptops!! Hope you are rested up from your jet lag!! Awesome card you made!! Have a wonderful day! Wow, sorry for the novel, I probably should have just shot you an email!
Hugs!
Ellen

Shannon White said...

Wowzers! This is just Gorgeous Gorgeous Shirley! Love the Wonderful colors and your Beautiful Butterfly! Just Fabulous! 8-)

Hugs and Happy weekend! 8-)
Shannon

Shirley said...

Talk about elegant and gorgeous, Shirley!! Love the BG technique and the layered butterfly and trim are lovely!!

Ina G said...

WOW Shirley - what a stunning card. Simply beautiful.LOVE the colours you used.

Jenny Gropp said...

Love the salt background technique! THis is lovely Shirley! I will miss seeing your creations in the Outlines CHallenges, but will be checking in on your blog to see them! Love the layering with the sliver of the silver border! Beautiful card!

Marn said...

Hi Shirley!
WOW! I am really crazy about this one! This is a very very gorgeous butterly!! wow very well done, very elegant, and you did a nice job with the details, soooo very pretty! Beautiful card for sure, especially with that great background, what a neat technique that is, esp with the salt! I must try that sometime!
Thanks so much for making me smile with this, I just love your butterfly creations! Fabuous!
Warm greetings! Marlene :)